Do you know the cost of being uninsured?

Victorian property owners and occupiers who do not insure their property or assets should consider the risk in the event of loss or damage from fire.

Section 87 of the CFA Act 1958 and Section 66 of the MFB Act 1958 specify that if property or assets are uninsured, then the owner or occupier shall be liable to pay reasonable costs for firefighting services provided by CFA or the MFB. This cost would be in addition to the property lost or damaged.

Those who do insure their property or assets against fire with insurance companies or insurance intermediaries, and contribute to the Victorian fire services are exempt from payment for firefighting activities.

All owners or occupiers of property have a choice to insure and subsequently contribute to the Victorian fire services. You should also be aware that there may be significant costs incurred if you do not take out fire insurance.
For more information about your fire service obligation, please contact either the CFA on (03) 9262 8221 or the MFB on (03) 9665 4275. Note: Always ring 000 in an emergency.